A Nottingham resident has contracted a rare but potentially life-threatening disease from staying in a hotel room.
The guest, who has not been named, was diagnosed after a stay at the Three Queens Hotel and Lodge, in Bridge Street, Burton.
The hotel has been forced to close temporarily after they and another guest stayed there for three days, and contracted legionnaires’ disease.
Health professionals from Public Health England conducted tests which showed legionella pneumophila bacteria present in water samples taken from the Burton hotel’s plumbing.
The first case, a guest from Nottingham, was diagnosed in January this year and the second, from Bridlington, was more recently in September. Both individuals have recovered and are well, reports the Burton Mail.
Dr David Kirrage, consultant with PHE West Midlands health protection team, said: “Isolated cases of legionella infection are reported to us on a regular basis and investigated as a matter of routine.
“Following the second case of confirmed legionnaires’ disease with a link to the hotel, we liaised with colleagues in the local environmental health team to carry out testing of water systems at the hotel.